Sunday, July 12, 2009

CSA - Weeks 5/6

This is a bit of a catch-up post....last week (week 5) was a whirlwind of visiting family and Fourth-of-July weekend celebrations, topped off with a vicious 36-hour stomach virus that put Darrin and me out of commission mid-week. Fortunately, we recovered quickly, and thanks to very accommodating and understanding CSA members, I was able to delay the Thursday drop until Friday in order to get some much needed rest. 

Darrin's family and I hiked Mount Scott on July 4th - a fun way to spend the day
together and capture some awesome views of Crater Lake. Darrin's nephews have been visiting from Anchorage, AK for several weeks (Matt, Kevin, and Hunter - ages 17, 15, and 10, respectively). They have all been highly entertaining, and I'm especially grateful to Matt and Kevin for their help on the farm (though I must acknowledge, Hunter holds great promise as a farmer's assistant a few years from now!). 

I was also spoiled to have my Mom, eldest sister Jen and two of her children (Henry and Lily) for a 3 day visit last week.  We ate lots of good food (K.Falls has a Vietnamese restaurant that is always a must-go-to when they are in town), rented Kayaks from The Ledge and enjoyed an afternoon at Lake of the Woods, and (of course) toured about the farm. Next week my Mom returns with my other sister, Shoshawna, for a couple of days.  I can hardly wait!

Last week's produce share included carrots, basil, strawberries, salad mix, and the peak delivery of sugar snap peas.  This week (week 6), you will be enjoying the last of the sugar snap peas, the first of the garlic ('Shantung Purple', a Turban variety with moderate heat), more carrots, kale, basil, strawberries, and salad mix. The Extra-greens share will be salad mix this week.

I am beginning to see a lot of blushing going on in the greenhouse .....perhaps we will have the first tomatoes by next week?? Also, the dahlias are beginning to open, so I anticipate the flowers will be coming on within the next week or two. So much to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment